Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Exception in layout Widget/Announcement!SQLSTATE[42S22]: Column not found: 1054 Unknown column 'publish_up' in 'where clause'
Suggested by HORGAN..What do you use ? What have you used that you have liked or HATED ?...

TOPIC:

CB Radio? 9 months 3 weeks ago #960

• Tourer
  • Tourer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 151
When I used to have the motorhome, I used to have a CB radio. A few of us used to travel around together and the CB was a good way of communicating especially if one of us got stuck at traffic lights or road works for example. Anyhow, when I sold the van - I also sold the CB. The others pulled the CB's out so obviously I was the talkative one...! Now that I pull a caravan I was considering purchasing a handheld CB but it would be a complete waste if it was only me and the truck drivers...!

Does anyone else use CB or even 2 way radio?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

CB Radio? 9 months 3 weeks ago #961

CB Radios are still used today I was only saying to Deirdre yesterday I might put one in the BeeBaw as I have 2 40 channel CBs here.

Our Camping Crew use walkie talkies alot and they are handy when the kids are away from the vans ....
Happy Camping

CB Radio? 9 months 3 weeks ago #962

• Tourer
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Aaron,

My issue with the normal transceiver is how do I connect it to an aerial without drilling the car or using a magmount which will possible scratch the paint work...?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aaron

CB Radio? 9 months 3 weeks ago #963

I have never scratched a car or van using a mag mount as most of them have a thin rubber base on the magnet !!!!

You can get gutter and boot mounts too !!!!
Happy Camping

CB Radio? 9 months 3 weeks ago #964

• Tourer
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Ok Aaron - you are the man with the knowledge so here goes.....:)

I have a set of 2 way radios what we used to use around the sites for when the kids were younger but they won't break into CB frequencies so no good if a few of us are travelling in convoy. That's when we used the CB radios.

I don't have a gutter on the car so I'm not sure how to connect a gutter mount - can they connect to roof rails? secondly - its a Tiguan so a hatchback in reality - boot mounts will prove difficult to get the aerial upright...

Finally (for now) - by pulling a caravan - what height aerial would I need - I presume a mini mag just won't give me enough clearance and the caravan will block me most of the time ?

Last edit: by Tourer.

CB Radio? 9 months 3 weeks ago #965

ha ha the man with the knowledge lol

Ok I have a scanner in the motorhome and I use a small magnetic antenna and I use to have loads of different antennas for my CBs over the years fro DV27 the most common drill mount antennas however there's a company Long Communications in Donegal they have a great selection of antennas like this on e

longcom.ie/product.aspx?id=372&p=micro-stinger-cb-aerial

I have a similar one for my scanner ......

Aaron
Happy Camping

Time to create page: 0.260 seconds