Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Exception in layout Widget/Announcement!SQLSTATE[42S22]: Column not found: 1054 Unknown column 'publish_up' in 'where clause'
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Roundwood Campsite 1 year 2 months ago #753

Roundwood Camping and Caravan Site

With Covid shortening the season, lots of the sites have filled up in July and August. I was struggling to find options for an extra, short weekend close to Dublin, until I stumbled across Roundwood Caravan and Camping Park. It is not listed in the 'Blue Book' but is in the Green Guide. SHows the value of using both.

So firstly, on matters covid. They are not operating a toilet or shower block. They do have chemical disposal. They are advising, at booking time, that you need your own self-contained unit with toilet and shower if you want to come. The toilet blocks do look nice from the outside though. The reception was allowing one person in at a time. You were recommended to bring your own pen. I found that reassuringly fussy! There are also no tents allowed at the mo. They look like they have a nice tent area.

The guy running the place was very friendly. Told us everything we needed to know and let us get on with it.

This is a pretty quiet site. There is a nice playground, but not much else for kids. However, it is also very safe and secure. So our kids really loved it.

It got quiet about 10pm and there weren’t many people stirring around. If you like a peaceful spot this is definitely up your alley.

The pitches were pleasant, with plenty of room for an awning. They also seemed to have hook up and the power was good. There was plenty of water and also a lot of nice bbq areas.

Roundwood is a five minute walk away. It’s a nice village but a word of warning, it has a lot of traffic, most of which seems to go very fast. The village has a number of pubs and restaurants if you want to sit in. It also has a Chinese and a chipper if you just want a takeaway. There is a decent size of a Centra, a really nice bakery (really really nice) a butchers and even a barbers.

There are some lovely walks down by the varty reservoir. Glendalough is also fairly close by if that is your bag.

It was a lovely weekend. We paid 40 per night for two adults, two kids, two small dogs an awning and hook up. Not the cheapest but not the most expensive. We will definitely be back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aaron, Tourer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Roundwood Campsite 1 year 2 months ago #754

Thanks for a great review RigorMortis I haven't been there since I was teenager it sounds like nothing has changed in a good way.

Stay safe

Aaron
Happy Camping

Roundwood Campsite 1 year 2 months ago #755

RigorMortis - was the site full or is it one of those gems that you might still get a late booking with? This year it is near impossible to get a pitch for a caravan with all the new caravanners on the road. Nevertheless, it is great to see so many newbies....it can only pull up the quantity and quality of campsites in Ireland. That's the advantage of Moho's this year, they have the added advantage of Aires.

Been to Roundwood a few times in the past and it was always a gem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aaron

Roundwood Campsite 1 year 2 weeks ago #800

• Tony
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Roadtripping!
  • Thank you received: 66
Hi there - we have stayed at the Roundwood site now three times this summer since lockdown was lifted and we love it. Booking is online with payment required up front. One at a time in reception and the owners are really friendly and know all about the area. They have stopped taking tents so its self contained motorhomes, campervans and caravans only. All the shower and toilet facilities are closed aside from the chemical waste disposal. Lots of taps and BBQ points, EHU's around the site and a mix of hardstanding and grassed pitches - generally level - and even after the rain the grass is well drained and stable. Roundwood village and the lovely lakeside walk is a short safe stroll from the park, as well as the rest of Co Wicklow so when you stay there you are well located to "get out there". One gripe is the cost - one night, motorhome and 2 well behaved adults with EHU - €32. With no facilities.
As others on here have said, it's a generally peaceful site but I think it does depend on the behaviour of others on the park. There are clearly regular long term caravanners set up there who seem to help run the place(!).
They are closing up on the 8 September with a plan to reopen for the BH weekend in May 2021 - we will definitely be back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aaron

Roundwood Campsite 3 weeks 1 day ago #1214

just back from a 2 nite stay here at the lovely Roundwood Camping site. we paid €64 for the stay incl EHU which was the most expensive we've paid thus far. we had a tarmacadam pitch just near the services block. unlike a previous review, i found most of the pitches, especially in our area were quiet unlevel and levelling blocks are a must. 

tents were present and the site was very full for the weekend, with a good mix of families and couples. the weather was glorious and the site looked pristine and very picturesque, especially with a few palm trees dotted around.

payment was made upon booking and a day or so prior to our stay the management emailed me with a list of the rules of the site ( a few) and directions to the site taking into consideration the road works that blight the N11. also in the email was a complete list of pubs, eateries, pharmacy, doctors takewaways, things to do and see all with the relevant phone numbers... you wont be stuck for something to do.

Roundwood is a busy spot and the saturday was packed with walkers and cyclists. we walked the scenic lake walk around Vartry resevoir and also the devils glen loop walk to the waterfall....glorious.

the toilets and shower blocks were immaculate, refuse dealt with by way of recycling bins. the site is a mature one and for a short stay it hits all the right notes.... the only caveat is the pricing.... however for a short stay there are few better!
if it cant be fixed with a hammer, its an electrical fault......
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aaron, Tourer

Roundwood Campsite 5 days 13 hours ago #1229

I stayed here in August for 5 nights. I have to agree with Liam, I found the pitches to be a tad unlevel taking a bit of work to get the caravan sorted. However, everything else was exactly as we remembered it. It is a beautiful site, walking distance to the village and well placed for touring around. I know the price of this site is a little on the steep side but I think of it as 'Dublin' prices due to the proximity of both beautiful Wicklow and the city of Dublin.
Toilets and shower blocks were spotless and the overall site was immaculate.
One to return to and I would recommend it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aaron, liamk

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.347 seconds