Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Exception in layout Widget/Announcement!SQLSTATE[42S22]: Column not found: 1054 Unknown column 'publish_up' in 'where clause'
Other equipment you use, have used, like or dislike
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Gas Cylinders for motor homes 6 months 7 hours ago #1576

i have a Fiat Ducato. MH that I bought over a year ago, it came with the usual yellow kosengas cylinder fitted in it, and one spare, I have a small problem that when I get to site I have to take the cylinder out hook up the cap and open it and then try and fit it back into the gas compartment. It’s a very tight fit, one one occasion it was raining so I left the cylinder outside the MH connected up, and a fellow motor homer said to me that I was using the wrong type of gas cylinder. He reckoned that I should be using the Red cylinder and said by me using the yellow one I would burn out the jets on my cooker and could also damage the water heater.
I was in Charles Camping a few weeks back getting a new skylight cassette and when there I noticed they had yellow, red and blue gas cylinders for sale. I asked him if there was any specific to use in a motor home and should I be using the red one. He told me there was no significant difference and he wasn’t aware of any potential damage to the gas jets.
Just wondering what other members thoughts are on this, and has any one got specific experience good or bad of using different types of cylinders.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Aaron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gas Cylinders for motor homes 5 months 4 weeks ago #1577

The fellow camper was slightly over exaggerating. I have used the yellow gas on EVERY camper van (all 11) I have ever owned, and NEVER had a problem with jets or heating going faulty.
I only recently changed to the red bottle for the following reason.

The red burns hotter, cooks faster & doesn't freeze at low temperatures like the yellow. HOWEVER your need a different type of regulator that has to be fixed to a surface in the gas locker and that has made it really tight for the changing of the gas bottles. I still carry 2 bottles of gas in the locker AND you will need a BIG spanner ( I think 33mm ) to swap the connection from one bottle to the other.

Aaron
Happy Camping

Gas Cylinders for motor homes 5 months 4 weeks ago #1578

Thanks Aaron, best to leave well enough alone
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aaron

Gas Cylinders for motor homes 4 months 3 weeks ago #1583

I have only ever used the yellow butune gas cylinders on my very first camper. I then changed to red propane for 1 reason only. I use the camper and now caravan all year round. As Aaron says, the red doesn't 'freeze' at the same temperatures as the yellow. Butane stops working at just below sub zero temperatures. It remains liquidified as the cold stops it producing any gas vapour, hence no gas pressure.

Propane, on the other hand, is good down to -35C as it only stops producing vapour at -40C.

Only really a consideration if you are thinking of camping over the winter regardless of the temperatures...!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Can the Man

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.487 seconds