Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Exception in layout Widget/Announcement!SQLSTATE[42S22]: Column not found: 1054 Unknown column 'publish_up' in 'where clause'
Want to chat about anything camping related?
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Caravan Remote Location Parking 1 month 2 weeks ago #1037

Great website for information. This is my first post.

Having seen 2 caravans parked up on a popular coastline in Co. Louth over the weekend, I was wondering if this is something you can do per say? I know with RV/Motorhomes it's common to see overnight parking in car parks, viewing points and such places but I wondered do many caravan owners do this, maybe in more off the beat locations and is it generally accepted/allowed?

We only got our caravan last year and have stayed in a few parks which are great options but I thought I'd ask should we want to do something different especially when restrictions ease but inter county travel might still be off the cards. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Caravan Remote Location Parking 1 month 2 weeks ago #1039

Hi Conor. as a previous tenter, motorhomer and now caravanner I can honestly say that wild camping is really designed in the first instance for the tenter, it is something that is also attractive to the motorhomers as they are very self sufficient. We, as caravanners, are not that self sufficient as we don't have the capacity of large volume fresh water tanks or onboard grey water so wild camping proves problematic. However, that said it can be done but would require the proper setup and planning.

Personally, I prefer a dedicated campsite as I can hook off and then enjoy exploring with the car. I wouldn't like to leave my caravan in an unsecured location unattended. And that to me is part of the attraction of camping...to explore the area around you.

To finish I would say this though that as a previous motorhomer, I still will struggle to place one ahead of the other. They both have pros and cons and at this very minute in time, I look at all the motorhome owners with envy...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aaron

Caravan Remote Location Parking 1 month 2 weeks ago #1040

Hi Conor

Thanks for posting and keep them coming I'm with Tourer on this one I have never seen a caravan "wild camp" with the exception of one time a family stopped in a Tesco carpark overnight but only because they were so early for an early morning ferry ....

I think caravans are designed for On Site camping.

Stay safe

Aaron
Happy Camping
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tourer

Caravan Remote Location Parking 1 month 2 weeks ago #1042

certainly from a safety point of view, unless you were intending on staying in the caravan, its not ideal ( and most notably utilised by certain groups that may attract negative comments/attention). id always stay on a site, and use it as a touring base for the locality. a caravan cannot be secured in the same was as a motorhome, albeit if someone is determined to gain access to your property, they will by hook or by crook.
if it cant be fixed with a hammer, its an electrical fault......

Caravan Remote Location Parking 1 month 2 weeks ago #1044

I have added this to the podcast for discussion. Its a very interesting topic.

Caravan Remote Location Parking 1 month 2 weeks ago #1046

Thanks for all the feedback. Maybe there is scope for some sort of wild camping for us "caravanners". Looking forward to hearing the discussion on the podcast. Hopefully we get good news on Thursday from the government and can start venturing around the country over the summer. Happy camping!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aaron, liamk

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds