Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to Campsite Review Forums!

Tell us a little bit about yourselves, your camping gear and share your stories with other campers!

(0 rating)

TOPIC: Motorhome over 3500kgs!

Motorhome over 3500kgs! 29 Jan 2014 21:57 #250

• jetty
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Need your help and advice,

We purchased a motorhome a few years ago, and use it alot. We discovered just last year that it is over 3500kgs, think 3750kgs, and we do not have the appropriate licence to drive it, dont know what to do, cant afford to trade in, love the motorhome, when we bought it the fella said to watch the weight, but we were green horns and didnt cop onto what he was referring. Bought from a supposed reputable dealer, but wont get caught again there. It needs the DOE done this march so dont know the craic with that and the weight thing.

anyone out there to enlighten me.

thanks a million
jetty :angry: :blink:
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aaron

Motorhome over 3500kgs! 29 Jan 2014 22:21 #251

• Aaron
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 29
I got this information off the Driving Licence Fact sheet.....

Class 1 – car licence

A holder of a Class 1 learner or restricted licence can drive:

a vehicle that has a GLW or GCW of not more than 4500kg (this includes tractors or combination vehicles, but does not include motorcycles)

a moped or all-terrain vehicle

a motorhome or tradeperson's vehicle with a GLW of not more than 6000kg and an on-road weight not exceeding 4500kg.

and this is from the Irish National driver Licence Service...

CLICK HERE

I hope this helps

Aaron
Happy Camping
Last Edit: 29 Jan 2014 22:24 by Aaron.

Motorhome over 3500kgs! 30 Jan 2014 17:55 #252

• jetty
  • Fresh Boarder
Got your reply, thanks. was just looking at my licence and my husbands. They are both "B" ticked, so is the info still applicable.

jetty

Motorhome over 3500kgs! 30 Jan 2014 18:15 #253

• centrefire
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Bad news for you but C1 Licence required if over 3500Kgs. B will cover up to 3500Kgs. You will have to undergo driving test for the new category only.I think test is €35. You will need it especially if Driving on Continent where it is enforced more than here.People need to be more careful of tonnage from now on when purchasing new camper and I presume it will make smaller units more desirable.

Motorhome over 3500kgs! 30 Jan 2014 18:39 #254

• bojangles
  • Fresh Boarder
Got this on the motorhome association web site .A new class was to be add at the end of last year C1/97 just for motorhomes. The RSA are dragging there feet on it. www.thencc.org.uk/news_press/news_detail.aspx?newsid=110 .

Motorhome over 3500kgs! 30 Jan 2014 20:52 #255

• jetty
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks to all for the information. appreciate it. beginning to come to terms with the fact that i will probally have to apply for da test for C1 licence, my husband dosent drive it much as he works weekends so i go alot with the girls. we dont go abroad so the worry is having an accident here while travelling. Wonder is there a theory test and would i have to do the test driving the camper. A bit daunting even though i have driven it all over ireland. anyway alot of food for thought. thanks to all.

jetty

Motorhome over 3500kgs! 30 Jan 2014 20:53 #256

• jetty
  • Fresh Boarder
Centrefire,

i agree that people will have to be very careful and check the weight of the camper with a persons licence, and not take the word of the seller that you will be ok.

jetty

Motorhome over 3500kgs! 31 Jan 2014 12:19 #257

• bojangles
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,
you will have to do the theory test. At the moment its the test for the c licence that is why they want to bring in the C1/97 class . Went looking to do C1 test two years ago. You CANNOT used your motorhome only what they regard as a C1 vehicle eg, large Van ,light truck or such. Everything is the same as for the C licence only bigger vehicle during test.

Best of luck.
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds