Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

(1 rating)

TOPIC: Scotland

Scotland 11 Mar 2020 13:05 #691

• Aaron
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 97
Balnakeil, there is room for about 30 or 40 campers, local shop and petrol station just outside the campsite, cost is just 9 pounds sterling per night and the site is open all year round,

Only disadvantage is that the local hotel is around 2km distant,

Orcas are to be seen from time to time, with little light pollution it is a good place to see an aurora, I am not sure what the cost is during peak season but it will be busy, regards...

Charles Coughlan
Happy Camping
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: liamk

Scotland - Glen Nevis Campsite Fort William 15 Nov 2020 19:08 #888

• liamk
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 46
Its been a few years since i stayed here with my wife and then 2 teenage sons. we had an old converted 1996 merc sprinter long wheel base camper, and our 1st main tour was 2 weeks around Scotland. Glen Nevis was the 1st site we stayed at, for 2 nights.

situated at the foot of Ben Nevis Mountain, and on the outskirts of Fort William, this large modern site really ticks all the boxes. we had a large pitch and all sites had EHU. a spotless site, toilet block was modern and spotless. there were several of these blocks around the site. Showers piping hot and music played in the background. there was a shop on site and staff were friendly and helpful.

as well as the usual camper kitchens, there was also washrooms with washing machines and spin dryers.

but most of all.... the views! if your into walking then this is a must. there are several walks in the vicinity, and a climb up Ben Nevis for the more adventurous.

the town of Fort William is a half hour or so walk, numerous sea food eateries, boat trips along the local Lough, and shopping for those little bits n pieces.

down side was that we drove direct from the ferry at Cairnryan (which we got from Belfast) straight to Fort William, approx 6 hours allowing for comfort stops. if i was to do it again i would stopover half way or so. however, the drive north, and into the Highlands was nothing short of astonishing with scenery that i still reminisce about today.

i wont post pricing as it was a few years back and the prices are probably different today. there is additional charges, and if memory serves me correct the onsite shop is a little over priced.

but, a must stop site for the outdoors type and a site id recommend every time (pity they cant guarantee the weather...)
if it cant be fixed with a hammer, its an electrical fault......
Last Edit: 15 Nov 2020 19:57 by liamk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aaron, Tourer

Scotland - Cumberlands Campsite Fort Augustus 15 Nov 2020 19:56 #889

• liamk
  • Senior Boarder
As part of our Scottish tour several years ago, 3 glorious nights were spent at the 50 pitch Cumberlands Camp site in the beautiful town of Fort Augustus, on the south shore of Lough Ness. it is an unusual site as the pitches are arranged in sort of a circle with a very large green area in the centre of the site (presumably tents can use this area, although there were none here when we visited. ) all pitches are hard-standing, with EHU, and there is ample space between each pitch. water is readily available. the site can cater for the biggest of units, we even saw some american style Rv's there, some big as a coaches.

there is an on site bar which also served some light bites.
large modern shower blocks and campers kitchen. there are picnic benches dotted around the site, and stunning mountains make for a beautiful backdrop to the area.

as my last review i wont post pricing as its sure to be out of date at this time.

Fort Augustus is a beautiful town, with the Calendonian canal and its many Locks. we had drinks at a bar on the edge of the Locks and watched in amazement as boats and barges navigated the many locks, i think there was at least 5 Locks in a row..

again, walks and sight seeing are the main things to do here. beware, the town is a bit of a tourist trap and souvenirs etc command premium pricing. however there is plenty of activities that will keep you here for a few days at least.

the campsite is around 200-300 meters from the town, and as far as i remember is the closest campsite to the town. there are other campsites in the area.
Last Edit: 15 Nov 2020 19:59 by liamk.

Scotland - Invercoe Caravan Park Glencoe 15 Nov 2020 20:21 #890

• liamk
  • Senior Boarder
Following on from our tour of Scotland several years ago, this was my favourite site, and we stayed here for 4 nights in total. a large site on the shores of Lough Leven. it is a rural site on the outskirts of the historical Glencoe village which is walkable from the site. Again, stunning scenery, with a Lough to the fore and an amazing backdrop of mountains ( i believe Harry Potter was filmed in this general area)

the Site manager was amazing and was full of advice on things to do in the area. the site also has a camper shop , which is small but good value for money. the shower blocks and camper kitchen are in old style buildings and are cosy and spotless.

this site is well maintained and manicured to within an inch of its life, you can tell the owners were full of pride and their dedication to the camp site showed.

as is the case in the Scottish Highlands, this site offers numerous walking opportunities, and is a handy base for exploring the nearby towns, like Oban.

every evening, however, we were treated to the most spectacular sunset over the Lough adjoining the campsite, made all the more perfect with a bottle of red ( or 2 :) )

if its peace and quiet your after, you could do worse that have a few days here when in the area, 10/10.
Last Edit: 15 Nov 2020 20:22 by liamk.

Scotland - Redgates Holiday park, Maidens, Ayre 21 Nov 2020 13:22 #895

• liamk
  • Senior Boarder
we spend 2 nights here in this lovely campsite. spectacular views all round. we did not prebook but there was plenty of room here to accommodate our van. There is a walk through the site to the beach - about five/ten minutes and that walk also takes you to a small open all hours type shop. The toilet block was immaculate - Clean, modern with Under floor heating! Showers were by coin slot but 60p gave you ample time. The motorhome field is alongside the road but this quietened as evening came on and it did not disturb us. We were given a pitch right beside the toilet block, a concrete pitch and it was so level you'd nearly play snooker on it. the site itself was well maintained and very tidy. there is not much to do at the site itself, but the town of Ayr is about a 20 minute drive. a relaxing site, well cared for and as before, i cant remember pricing and im sure its changed since our visit.
Last Edit: 21 Nov 2020 13:23 by liamk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aaron

Scotland - Keltie Bridge Caravan park 21 Nov 2020 13:37 #896

• liamk
  • Senior Boarder
situated in the town of Callandar ( which has the spookiest graveyard ive ever seen!!) we spend an overnight here. as is the case with most sites we visited in Scotland, the staff were so friendly and polite and couldn't do enough for us.our pitch was large and level, with EHU. this site is on the edge of the Trossachs National Park and the scenery was spectacular. the site had modern facilities and wash rooms. the pitches were hardstanding with ample green area between each pitch. the pitches are also very large in size and mostly level. the town of Callendar, and its spooky graveyard, was a short walk from the site. they had their own pathway to the town, so you didn't have to walk alongside the busy main road, and it was an old disused railway line as far as i can remember. a great site, and it would be a great base for exploring areas such as Glencoe, Fort William, Ben Nevis, Fort Augustas, Loch Ness, Loch Lomond, kelpies & falkirk wheel. again, if your into walking and other outdoor pursuits, its ideal.

Scotland - Torvaig Caravan Park Portree 22 Nov 2020 07:33 #897

• liamk
  • Senior Boarder
whats a trip to the highlands without a trip to the stunning Isle of Skye and its wonderful drive over scenery so beautiful that you cannot make any trip without stopping just to admire the surroundings. then there is the brilliant Skye Bridge to cross. unfortunately, everyone else had the same idea to visit Skye at the same time as us so when we got to Torvaig Caravan and Camp site, it was pretty much wedged. the accommodating staff found an un-serviced pitch for us however, no water or EHU so its pretty much the only time we "wild Camped". we only stayed here for 1 night. we were accommodated on a grass pitch, which was pretty up and down. as the site was packed a this time our neighbours were pretty close to our unit. there is hard standing pitches available.

facilities were basic but clean, and with a campers wash area in a sort of lean-to at the side of the toilet block.

the site is a short walk from the pretty town of Portree, a lively bustling town with gorgeous scenery.
this site would be more suited to Tents and caters for the Backpacking enthusiasts very well. in my opinion you would struggle if you were in a large unit.

pricing was reasonable,staff friendly, ideal for the overnighter. if you were to put this site on your list be sure to pre-book as it appears to fill fast in high season.
Last Edit: 22 Nov 2020 09:59 by liamk.

Scotland - Strathclyde Caravan Club Site 22 Nov 2020 07:47 #898

• liamk
  • Senior Boarder
out final site on our tour of Scotland. this is a Caravan and Motorhome Club Site situated adjacent to Glasgow's only Theme Park, M&D's, ( beware, it aint no Alton Towers... :) .). we chose here as we wanted to explore Glasgow.

this is the 1st time we stayed on a Caravan Club Site. when we arrived at reception, the receptionist, who was again polite, insisted on inspecting our van to make sure it was an official camper, not just a van with a mattress. once it met with her approval (!) we were shown on a map where our pitch was and also advised on how to park, with one corner of the unit reversed to a white peg marker....all very organised, (if your into that sort of thing...).

the site itself is large and again spotless. pitches were gravel and large enough to accommodate all sizes of units. caravan owners could park their car beside the unit without encroaching onto the grass. the facilities were the amongst the best we saw on our trip, and washing machine facilities were available.

Glasgow is a Taxi ride from the site, and there is a Pub just outside the gate of the site ( Tobys Carvery i believe).

the site, as mentioned, is beside the M&D theme park so there are lots of children at the site, making for a lively site at times. but, to be fair, once 10pm hit is was relatively quiet, wardens are available to ensure the rules re loud music etc were not flouted.

as a stopover to visit Glasgow and its many attractions its hard to fault this site.
Last Edit: 22 Nov 2020 07:49 by liamk.
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds